Discover the Versatility of a Mobile Chicken Coop with Wheels
Keeping chickens has become more popular in the last decade. Once a trait of people who lived out in the sticks surrounded by rolling meadows, owning chickens is now much more common among suburban and urban residents.
Mobile chicken coops offer an array of benefits for all owners, but they are a particularly good option for people who don’t have tons of land.
In this guide, we’ll explore the advantages of a chicken coop with wheels, share tips to help you find the perfect portable hen home and offer advice for DIY enthusiasts looking to flex their building skills.
What are the benefits of a mobile chicken coop?
A mobile chicken coop offers an alternative to traditional coops, which have a set location, usually within backyards or land on a property or farm.
The primary difference is that you can move a portable chicken coop around, jumping from one base to the next with ease.
If you’re weighing up your options and wondering if a movable chicken coop is the right choice for you, here are some key benefits to consider:
1. Easy cleaning
One of the main benefits of a portable chicken coop is that it offers quick and simple cleaning. As you move your coop around, there is less time for dirt and excrement to collect.
You can also clean it much easier because your chickens will be grazing merrily in a new location by the time you don your gloves and overalls.
2. Versatile and flexible
A chicken coop on wheels offers much greater flexibility than a fixed hen house and it’s also more versatile.
You can take advantage of different sweet spots for grazing in your garden and enjoy a wider range of locations. It’s also easy and hassle-free to relocate your flock if you move.
3. Protect your garden (and stay in your neighbor’s good books)
Chickens are wonderful creatures, but they can cause catastrophic damage to flower beds and lawns in a relatively short space of time.
Looking for a mobile chicken coop for sale is beneficial if you’re keen to protect your garden and stay in your neighbor’s good books.
4. Predator protection
A chicken coop on wheels offers the best of both worlds. Your chickens will feel like they’re free-range hens but they can also enjoy the benefits of being protected from the elements and predators.
5. Free fertilizer
Gardening fans, rejoice! Buying or building a portable chicken coop will enable you to take advantage of a high-quality fertilizer for free. Chicken waste contains a blend of essential nutrients, which will help your garden grow.
Choosing the right mobile chicken coop: How to find the perfect portable home for your hens
If you’re on the hunt for a portable chicken coop on wheels for sale, you may be wondering how to narrow down your options.
To make life easier, here are some tips to help you find the right mobile coop for your flock:
- Set a budget: if you’re buying rather than building, it’s wise to set a budget before you start browsing listings and adverts. The cost of a mobile chicken coop can vary hugely, depending on the size, design and materials used.
- Explore different options: portable chicken coops come in all kinds of shapes and styles and there are different options in terms of how they move. Take a look at different types of chicken coops on wheels (sometimes known as chicken tractors), try to arrange viewings if possible and think about which models would suit your flock best.
- Figure out the best size for your chickens: size is important when selecting a portable chicken coop. You’ll need to think about the size of your flock, the breed and the amount of space you have available. The more room you can give your feathered friends, the better.
- Read reviews and seek advice: there’s a wide range of mobile chicken coops for sale. To identify the best products, seek advice from fellow owners, veterinarians or poultry experts and read verified buyer reviews.
The advantages of a galvanized metal coop
When you hear the words chicken and coop in the same sentence, you might automatically conjure up images of wholesome-looking wooden hen houses surrounded by lush green grass.
Wooden coops are very popular, but they’re not the only option.
A metal chicken coop might not be everyone’s first choice, but there are benefits to looking for a galvanized metal chicken coop with wheels.
- Durability: a metal coop will last much longer than a traditional wooden chicken coop.
- Value for money: the initial outlay may be greater when buying a metal mobile chicken coop, but you’re investing in a product that will stand the test of time.
- Rot resistance: metal chicken coops are resistant to rot, which makes them a great option for chicken keepers who value longevity over aesthetics.
- Eliminate termite threats: anyone who owns chickens is likely to be fearful of a termite infestation. With a galvanized metal chicken coop, it is much more difficult for these tiny pests to penetrate your hen house.
Exploring movable chicken coops for sale
If you’re ready to become a chicken keeper, start exploring movable chicken coops for sale. Browse websites and online listings, look out for adverts in magazines or local newspapers and contact vendors to find out more about their products.
If you can, it’s a great idea to go and inspect chicken coops before you decide which one to buy.
Seeing a chicken coop in the flesh will enable you to get a much better idea of the size, functionality, condition and quality than looking at images on a computer or a phone.
When you’re searching for a mobile chicken coop, it’s beneficial to consider a few different options and compare products to make sure that you’re making the right decision.
Think about the size and style of the coop and prioritize value for money over cost.
Factors to consider when buying a chicken coop with wheels
When you’re buying a chicken coop with wheels, there are some essential factors to consider, including:
- Cost and value for money: think about how much you want to spend and how long your chicken coop will last when comparing prices and setting your budget. If you’re buying a mobile chicken coop you plan to keep for several years, it’s worth spending more than you would on a hen house or chicken tractor you plan to have for a year or so.
- Size and weight: it’s important to consider the size of the coop to make sure that you have enough space for your flock and that the coop fits within your garden or plot. Check the weight too, as this could impact how easy it is to move the hen house around.
- Portability: there are different ways to move chicken coops with wheels and some may be easier than others.
- Design: some people aren’t fussed about aesthetics, but for others, the look of the chicken coop is very important. If you’re looking for a beautiful home for your flock, it’s worth exploring different designs and styles.
Tips for building your own mobile chicken coop
Are you a keen DIYer? Are you on a tight budget?
Do you fancy taking on a new challenge?
If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions, you might be thinking about making your own mobile chicken coop.
If this option appeals, here are some tips to ensure a seamless, stress-free build:
- Figure out how much space you need inside the chicken coop: getting the size right is crucial for hen health and well-being. Each bird needs at least 3-4 square feet.
- Research chicken coop plans online
- Always double-check measurements before ordering or cutting wood or other materials
- Consider which type of moving or pulling mechanism you want to use: options include adding a handle at the front for a 4-wheel model, the wheelbarrow design and a lever-operated wheel-lift.
- Ensure you have all the tools, equipment and supplies you need before you start building
- Make use of online video tutorials and step-by-step guides
- Build the bottom frame first followed by the rest of the frame, the roosts and the nesting boxes
- Inspect your chicken coop before you introduce your hens to their new home
Why a mobile chicken coop is perfect for urban homesteading?
Urban homesteading has become more popular in the last decade. There has been a seismic shift towards embracing sustainable living, with more and more homeowners’ keen to reduce waste and become more self-sufficient.0
A mobile chicken coop is an excellent option for urban homesteading because it enables almost anyone to become a chicken keeper.
You don’t need a huge amount of land, you don’t have to worry about chickens destroying your lawn or yard and you can move your chickens around with ease if you need to.
With a portable coop, you can take advantage of a fresh supply of eggs and enjoy being a chicken keeper without having to move to the countryside or sacrifice your lawn or flower beds.
One of the first jobs to check off the list when you get chickens is to find a suitable home for them. While many opt for a fixed hen house, mobile chicken coops are an increasingly popular choice.
A chicken coop with wheels offers flexibility and versatility and it also means that people who don’t have a huge garden or fields outside their windows can rear chickens.
If you’re searching for a portable chicken coop for sale, research different options, figure out what size coop you need, set a budget and look for high-quality products that will last.
- A chicken coop with wheels offers a flexible, versatile alternative to a fixed chicken coop
- Mobile chicken coops come in a wide range of sizes and designs
- A portable coop enables you to keep chickens without ruining your garden
- Many people who are interested in urban homesteading opt for a chicken coop with wheels