Enhance Your Chicken Coop with a Water System - The Perfect Solution
Water is essential for healthy, happy hens. If you’re in the throes of getting a chicken coop ready for new arrivals, or you’re looking to upgrade the water system for your chicken coop, it’s important to buy the right chicken waterer.
In this guide, we’ll discuss the benefits of a watering system and share some top tips to help you find the best chicken waterers.
Choosing the right water system: Find the perfect chicken waterer for your coop
Providing a fresh, clean supply of water is one of the golden rules of maintaining a healthy flock.
Chickens need water not only to boost their health and well-being but also to produce and lay high-quality eggs.
Adding a water system to your hen house is a brilliant way to make sure that your chickens stay hydrated while freeing up time for yourself.
If you’re on the hunt for a new water system for your chicken coop, here are some tips to help you choose the right waterer:
- Consider the size of your flock: you’ll need to find a watering system that will provide sufficient supplies for all of your chickens. Ideally, you should choose a waterer that supplies around 1 pint of water per bird per day (increase this to 2 pints per day in the hotter, drier summer months). You can choose between a large waterer or multiple smaller waterers.
- Type of watering system: there are various types of watering systems to explore, including automatic, top-fill and plastic waterers. Some may suit your chicken coop or flock better than others. Take your time to compare the pros and cons of different products and systems.
- Ease of use: some chicken coop watering systems are much easier to use, clean and maintain than others. If you’re looking for a system that requires little effort to use or maintain, search for simple waterers.
- Read reviews: it’s always helpful to read verified reviews to get an idea of which products are best. It can be useful to see how other users rate products and get recommendations based on your flock size and budget.
- Set a budget: there is a significant price difference between fancy watering systems with all the mod cons and the more basic versions.
Top picks for chicken waterers: A review of the best chicken waterers
There’s an impressive selection of products designed to supply water for chicken coops.
To save you time and effort when shopping for your flock, we’ve put together a list of the best chicken waterers. Here are our top picks:
Harris Farms 4-gallon Cup-a-Water Poultry Drinker
An all-rounder that caters to medium-sized and large flocks, the Harris Farms Cup-a-Water 4-gallon poultry drinker is easy to use and clean and it’s customizable with extra cups for bigger groups.
This product boasts a sturdy design and you can hang it outside the coop with the cups facing inwards to minimize mess.
Royal Rooster Twin Cup Drinker & Feeder Set
A must for all fans of matching sets, the Royal Rooster Twin Cup Drinker & Feeder set has a cool, rustic aesthetic, which is perfect for traditional hen houses.
Offering a 1-gallon capacity, this feeding and watering set makes it simple to take care of a small flock. These products look great, they’re easy to use and they’re made from high-quality, durable materials.
Farm Innovators All Seasons Heated 3-Gallon Poultry Fountain
For those who dread contending with the ice and snow in the winter, the Farm Innovators heated poultry fountain is a marvel.
Designed to make fresh water accessible all year round, this heated waterer takes the effort and hassle out of tending to your flock during the cold winter months. The 3-gallon waterer is ideal for flocks of between 8 and 12 birds.
Simplify your chicken coop with an automatic watering system: Discover the best automatic chicken waterers
If you’re on a mission to make your chicken coop more efficient and save yourself time and energy when tending to your feathered friends, an automatic watering system is an ideal option for you.
Automatic watering systems provide a continuous supply of fresh water with no need for constant monitoring.
They usually comprise a reservoir or tank, which is connected to a series of cups, also known as nipples. As the chicken applies pressure to the cup, water comes out.
Automatic chicken coop watering systems are an excellent idea for busy keepers, as well as people who have big flocks of birds.
If you like the sound of this type of product, here is our pick of the best backyard chicken coop automatic watering systems:
OverEZ Automatic Chicken Waterer
The OverEZ automatic chicken waterer has a 12-gallon capacity, which supplies a flock of 12 chickens with clean water for around 8 days.
Made from BPA-free plastic, this is a safe and durable product, which has three spouts, enabling three hens to drink together at any one time. There’s an innovative no-spill feature to reduce mess and eliminate waste.
Little Giant Automatic Chicken Waterer System
The Little Giant automatic chicken waterer system has a 4-gallon capacity, which is ideal for medium-sized flocks.
Easy to use and clean, this product is strong and long-lasting. You can also use this waterer for other types of animals and livestock.
Features include a float-valve system to deliver a continuous, consistent supply of water and a choice of wall or over-the-fence mounting.
The benefits of a backyard chicken coop watering system
Installing a backyard chicken coop watering system provides benefits for chicken keepers and their feathery friends. Key benefits include:
- Boost flock health and well-being: fresh water is essential for optimum flock health and well-being.
- Save time and effort: if you have a big flock of hens, or your schedule is packed, you can save time and effort by using an automatic watering system.
- Ensure consistency: one of the best things about a watering system is that it delivers a consistent supply of water to your chicken coop. You don’t have to worry about your hens getting thirsty.
- Enhance egg production and quality: hens need water to lay high-quality eggs.
- Aid digestion: water is critical for effective digestion. If your hens aren’t hydrated, they may experience digestive health issues.
Adding a water system to your chicken coop is a fantastic way to provide a fresh, continuous supply of water.
Water is essential for health and well-being as well as healthy egg production and laying. There is a huge selection of waterers available for backyard chicken coops.
If you’re looking for the best chicken coop waterer, outline your requirements and research different waterers and chicken coop watering systems.
Look for chicken waterer reviews, ask fellow keepers for advice and recommendations and weigh up the pros and cons of different products.
- Chicken coop waterers and watering systems provide a supply of clean, fresh water to your chicken coop
- There’s a vast range of products available, including automatic waterers, which are ideal for keepers with a busy diary or a large flock
- It’s useful to read reviews before you buy
- The cost of chicken coop waterers ranges from less than $30 to hundreds of dollars depending on the size, scale and spec